Cooking a deliciously hearty vegan dinner on a budget is easy with this veg-packed tamale pie recipe. For only £4 you can cook up this spiced bean stew topped with vibrant yellow cornbread for a satisfying meal full of Mexican flavours.
See recipe below.
Time: 55 mins
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
30g fresh coriander leaves
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 red pepper, chopped
400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
325g tin sweetcorn, drained
225g corn meal
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 red chilli, finely sliced
3 spring onions, finely sliced
1. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep, ovenproof frying pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened.
2. Stir in the garlic and spices and cook for 1 min, stirring often to coat the onion. Finely chop half the coriander and add to the pan along with the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer for 10 mins.
3. Add the pepper and kidney beans to the pan, topping up with about 3 tbsp water, if needed, and simmer for 5 mins. Stir through the sweetcorn to heat through, then take the pan off the heat.
4. Add the corn meal, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and mix in 225ml water and the remaining 3 tbsp oil to make a thick batter. Spoon the batter over the top of the bean mixture. Scatter over half the sliced chilli.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 mins or until the topping is firm and golden, with the filling bubbling up around the edges. To serve, scatter over the reserved chilli, the remaining coriander leaves and the sliced spring onion.
£4 Mexican-style vegan pie | Tesco Food