- Wild-grown, PSC Grade A, Direct Trade, highest-altitude PNG beans from Morobe Province
- Large, elongated Arabica beans – as large as Kenya AA
- Shaded, volcanic, rainforest soil, small shareholder farms pick from wild-growing plants with natural shade (natural organic)
- Smooth, mellow cup with high body
- Great, consistent roasting results with several good roast points from light to dark, to accommodate any preference
Most Papua New Guinea beans available now are sourced from lower altitudes due to the inaccessibility of the highest-altitude farms. Poor infrastructure, volcanic lava flows and (mostly) bandits have complicated transportation and caused many farmers to be cut off from the outside world market. You will see a lot of Papua New Guinea coffee on the market today that is surprisingly inexpensive; the sad truth is that most of this inexpensive PNG coffee has been stolen from the producers and sold through commodity markets. Essentially, you see low prices on this because starving families have been robbed of their produce. We believe that only by certifying the origin of PNG coffee can you be sure you are supporting the families that produced it.
This is why we love our PNG coffee, it is personally flown from tiny airstrips at the top of the peaks to the port from which it is shipped to the USA! This is part of a well-organized humanitarian mission to connect farmers with products and medical supplies from the lowlands.
Coffee was established in Papua New Guinea in the 1800’s using seed stock from Jamaica Blue Mountain Variety, which has evolved indigenously on its own since those times. As with Blue Mountain, the cup is smooth, rich, buttery, with exotic fruit and floral notes.
We have found there is no wrong roast level for these beans. We have even featured these beans on our sites in Harlequin Roast (TM) in which we combine a careful ratio of dark and medium roast for added fullness. Best flavor is achieved after about 24 hours “rest” from roasting time.
List Price: $ 26.95