In this recipe I’ll show you how to make a whole Peruvian Gold Chicken on the Pit Barrel Cooker. The Pit Barrel chicken recipe couldn’t be easier. We’ll split the whole chicken in half and brine it overnight. The next day, apply some chicken seasoning, hang in the Pit Barrel and then finish with Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce. This might be the best chicken I’ve ever eaten!
• 1 gallon water
• 1 cup Kosher salt
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 whole chickens
• 2 tablespoons Runnin Wild Poultry Seasoning, more info here https://www.armadillopepper.com/collections/bbq-dry-rub-seasoning/products/runnin-wild-poultry-seasoning
• 6 oz Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce, more info here https://www.armadillopepper.com/products/tobago-keys-peruvian-grilling-sauce. This sauce is a great sauce for fish or chicken. Ingredients include Sugar, Yellow Mustard, Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Light Brown Sugar, Tomato Paste, Worcestershire, Salt, Pepper, Herbs, and Spices.
1. Mix the water, Kosher salt and brown sugar in a large pot until dissolved.
2. Cut the chickens in half, pace in the brine and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next day remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Rub the olive oil over the chicken, then season with the Runnin’ Wild Poultry seasoning.
5. Insert the Pit Barrel hooks under the breast bone and hang the chicken in a pre-heated Pit Barrel Cooker. I added 4 pieces of Mulberry Wood which provides a sweet, fruit-wood flavored smoke.
6. Smoke the chicken in the Pit Barrel Cooker for 1 hour, then insert a temperature probe if you want to monitor the temperature. This chicken was at 148 degrees F in 1 hour.
7. When the chicken reaches 160 degrees F (for this cook it was 1 hour 37 minutes), remove from the Pit Barrel Cooker and glaze with the Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce.
8. Hang the chicken back in the Pit Barrel Cooker until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F in the breast. For this cook, the total cook time was 2 hours.
9. Remove the chicken from the Pit Barrel Cooker and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Thanks for watching another one of our videos! If you liked this episode, click that subscribe button, so that you will know when new videos are available. Please share and like this video and don’t hesitate to ask questions of leave feedback in the comments section. We try to reply to all questions and suggestions within 24 hours.
Armadillo Pepper Hot Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Jerky & Snack Store
Please watch: “Smoked Beef Ribs in Masterbuilt Smoker with Bourbon & Sweet Tea Sauce”
Peruvian Gold Chicken on the Pit Barrel Cooker